Thursday, I made the mistake of going to Kroger hungry. This is a very, very big mistake.
I tried to temper this mistake by using a basket to do my shopping rather than a shopping cart.
This attempt was unsuccessful.
Halfway through my shopping trip, I decided I was not just buying a few lunch/breakfast items and, instead, that I was making dinner. Mom has been working late because of parent-teacher conferences and Dad is, well, almost always working late. We are lucky to even decide what we are having for dinner by 6pm, let alone have it cooking. So, in the middle of the grocery store, I decided to make dinner.
The result is Feta and Parmesan Veggie Pasta. Overall, everyone seemed to enjoy the dish. Dad and I agreed that it seems to be missing something, and I’d love some ideas. My family doesn’t usually use a lot of seasoning, so I have to work them into herbs and spices a bit slowly!
This meal served five with some leftovers.
- 1 box of pasta of your choice. Rotini worked great for us!
- 1 bag of frozen mukimame
- about 1 pound of asparagus, cut on the diagonal into half-inch pieces
- about 1 pound of baby bella mushrooms
- about 1 pound chicken breast
- 3-4 TBS Olive Oil, divided use (to saute mushrooms and chicken)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- About 1 TBS lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Parmesan Cheese, to taste
- Feta Cheese, to taste
1. Begin sauteing mushrooms in 1 TBS olive oil. Add lemon zest. Cover, but stir occasionally to prevent sticking. At the same time, bring water for pasta to a boil.
2. Cook chicken breast in a covered saute pan with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
3. When water begins to boil, cook pasta per package instructions.
4. When mushrooms are browned and mostly cooked, add about one half TBS olive oil and the asparagus to the pan. Continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally.
5. Heat mukimame. I used the Private Selection brand, which came in a steamable microwave bag.
6. Drain pasta. Add a touch of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
7. Combine cooked chicken, mushrooms, asparagus, and mukimame with the pasta.
8. Add Parmesan cheese and stir.
9. Add Feta cheese and stir. Enjoy!
I really enjoyed both making and eating this meal. It was quick, easy, and included a lot of my favorite foods. . .pasta, feta, mushrooms! Yuuuum yum!